Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snow bound but dreaming of summer

(The pic above is a friend of ours that was neighbor kid who grew up beside us and we ran into him at the lake last summer and pulled him and his son on the tube. The area of the lake behind him where the kids are playing is called Ryan's Branch and we have spent some great summer afternoons playing in the water there most of my and my childrens life. It is about 2 miles from our land.)
Now back to reality!!

We are setting here under about 5" or maybe more of snow and are expecting it to snow thru 11 AM tomorrow. I am not liking this either. You see I live in the boonies and I work an hour away in the town of Blacksburg Va where the roads are always cleared early. The roads out my way, at least half of my commute in are always covered until the last thing. So I am expected to be at work no matter what kind of weather we have here. Most all the rest of the staff live close by the office and can be there no matter what. I am praying that they will close the office tomorrow so I won't be in trouble.


I know that winter is almost over even though it doesn't look that way. (I am sitting here listening to the sleet beat down on my metal roof as I type.) DH and I took in the Roanoke Valley Boat Show yesterday along with some friends. The troubled economy was evident at the show too. The amount of vendors were about half as many as last year and the crowd was very slim, of course it was raining buckets of nearly frozen precipt all day. It is hard to get in to boating with frigid nasty weather.


I was into it though. It is in my blood I guess, being raised in a boating family. DH however loves to boat and fish and look at the new boats but boy that is it. He draws the line at purchasing a new/newer boat. He would really like to have a bigger boat for all the family to be able to ride together (instead of looking like a refugee boat loaded down ;-) but I think he is waiting for someone to give it to us. I found a great deck boat on Craigslist and at first he was OK with calling about it and as the day went on he started talking about his usual thing that he brings up when ever I want to spend any money........the undercarraige for his bulldozer needs to be replaced. I have heard this so many times that I am sick of it. Enough already.


You see I am not that much of a spendthrift that I would not allow him to spend the $12,000.00 + on this because that would be obsurd. You see he brings this up to make me feel guilty and change my mind about the purchase that I am wanting to make and agree that he should just go ahead and get this taken care of........then in about a week or two we are talking and he says that he doesn't feel that it will cost him 12K that he can do it cheaper and then in another week he says it doesn't need to be done for a long time......3 weeks he says "Well I am not using it that much anyway so it will last forever the way it is." Why does he do this to me?? I guess I will will just have to go find the boat that I want purchase it and bring it home and show him. I told him today that was my plan so he will be wondering when he will come home to a newer pontoon or deck boat. That's OK I can play mind games too!!!!

No comments: