Monday, June 1, 2009

Baby fowl update!

Boy there sure have been a lot of changes made around this little farm lately! My daughter Leslie's dh built her a FABULOSA chicken coop so I separated my old hens and sent 6 of them to live in their new spa-like serene setting. They will never come back to the poor living conditions that they were living in here :-(

You can read the rest of the story over at http://www.cemommy.blogspot.com/
Here's a close up of the guineas and turkeys.

My beautiful little white guinea. She is very rambuctious sp? LOL and she also loves to eat so I named her, what else but Becky!!!


Started out with 60 eggs, hatched out 44, not to bad for a beginner huh? 29 guineas out of 38 eggs, 4 turkeys out of four, and 11 chickens out of 18 eggs.



Bathtime!
Jus kiddin'.........I put them in the enameled bathtub only briefly while I cleaned their box and it looked like a Kodak moment to me!! We spent the day yesterday dispersing the keets and chicks out to their new homes. I am down to 6 chicks, 6 guineas and 4 turkeys. My BIL is to get the turkeys this weekend. Boy it was a lot of fun and a lot of work too trying to be an old hen. I am getting another load of white leghorn eggs ready for the incubator and plan to start it about next Tuesday. I do not want another hatching day on Fri, Sat and Sun!! Leslie and I both need some more young blood in our flock and now is a good time to get those eggs started so they will be laying when our 4 year old girls give out. My 5 White Leghorns are still giving me an egg almost everyday, rarely do they miss a day. Actually they may not be missing because I have found an egg eater (a buff orpington) and she is getting ready to be dumplings!!
So you see I haven't had very much bogging time lately, with the babies, the garden and all the other crazys that go on around here everyday!!
Take care!
Becky





4 comments:

TxFarmhouse said...

You literally have your hands full! I love the chicken pen! I also love the new look to your blog!

Leslie said...

You sure are a good old hen! Love my babies and the big girls too! We finally got an egg in the nest boxes yesterday, now if they will all follow suit we'll be doing good!!! Thank you for all your hard work and for the additions to my homestead:)

ohiofarmgirl said...

They are so adorable when they are small. We are hoping to build a chicken coop this summer so we can start a flock too...but dh is so busy I just don't know if that will happen. Thanks for visiting. Dianntha

Mandie said...

What a wonderful coop!!! I love it!! We should of built our coop run taller like yours. I have to crawl into our lol. The chickens don't like it one bit, hehe.