Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Recipe for the pickles

Becky's Sweet Pickles
Syrup:
1 quart white vinegar
1 cup water
5 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons pickling spice
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Thinly slice small to medium sized cucumbers and place in large enamel pot. Cover with a brine mixture of 2 quarts cold water and 1 cup salt enough to cover the cucumbers. Let set for 2-4 hours. Drain and rinse lightly with cold water. Prepare syrup and cover the slices. Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Fill jars with pickles and seal with a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
You will have to guess at how many cucumbers you will need to make a batch. I had 9 pints of pickles and had at least a pint and 1/2 of syrup left over that I refrigerated for use today with more cukes. This was using one recipe of syrup but it took 2 batches of the brine to cover them.
Leslie made a GREAT sweet sandwich pickle last year that had brown sugar in it. We really loved them but I didn't have all the ingredients on hand yesterday so I decided that I would use the things that I like in pickles and make my own recipe. I think I might add some garlic to the next batch.
While I was making these I had the food network on the TV and Emeril was making a very similar pickle so I felt like I was on the right track anyway!!! Go Emeril!!
Happy pickling!!
Becky

No comments: