Monday, October 12, 2009

Up on my soapbox now.........

I am not sure about you guys, but I am sick and tired of dealing with rude people. I wonder why the world has gotten to this point that people are allowed to be so hateful to other people. Was it their upbringing? Did no one teach them somewhere along the way about the golden rule? I mean I would be feared for my life if I was ever that rude to people........



What I am getting at here is our closest Joanne Fabrics store in Christiansburg Va. I have had to bite my tongue in there for several years now because of one employee. If she waited on me I would leave in such a bad mood. She had eye rolling down to a science, she perfected the huff and puff and her shrugging of her shoulders was second to none. I would see her at the matierial cutting counter and shop around longer to try to get another clerk to wait on me. Heaven help me if I had to ask her a question. I was huffed at, shrugged at, eyes were rolled my way and she would probably spit at me if she thought she could do so legally. NOT KIDDING!!!!!! What would I do..............I would keep going back for more abuse.



Then it seemed that one by one all of the employees learned all of her tricks. Now this chic was probably in her mid 20's......OK so it was her age. Even though my girls didn't go thru the "terrible twenty's"....... The other ladies for the most part are middle age.....ya know when people frown and pout all the time they look older than they really are. They have at least lived long enough to learn how to deal with people. Well I guess that's how some folks "deal with people" by stomping on them, cutting right thru them ignoring them etc etc etc.................



I went in one evening a few months ago and there were 2 new employees at the cutting counter........smiling and laughing and asking out of genuine concern if I found everything I was looking for....you know the nice kinda people. These 2 were probably 18 years old. I told them how happy I was to see a smiling face and that they were the only 2 employees that I had ever witnessed with a smile and I felt that the rest of the staff was unapproachable. I had to go back in for something else the next evening and Lo and Behold 2 of the "Old Bitty's" were behind the counter.......oblivious to the fact that you don't complain about customers in front of other customers and they were talking back and forth about the complaints of them being rude to customers a couple days before that. Well I didn't complain formally but I wish I would have. Someone else felt the same way as me huh?


Today the same 2 that were discussing the complaints brought forth about them were standing on either side of me today talking OVER me about even more complaints about them. What??? How long can this go on? I have walked by these 2 employees standing at the front door on the street smoking and they won't even smile at you while you are outside in their cloud of smoke. Of course neither of them even looked down at me today and asked if I needed assistance.


I had a terrible experience today (that I won't even go into now) and I have vowed to NEVER step a foot back in this particular Joanne Fabrics store again. I feel it would be hazardous to my health to do so. I get so worked up just trying to buy fabrics and crafty items that I will have a stroke. I always thought this hobby was calming!!! Now I would understand if I went in with a lot of questions but I have sewn all my life and I don't require a lot of assistance other than cutting my fabric. I do have a choice where my money is spent and I refuse to write these girls paychecks anymore!!!

That's all I have to say about that!

Update: After posting this I went to Joannefabrics.com and found a way to submit a complaint about my store experience. I copied this post and sent it to them. We'll see if it is even acknowledged!!!

7 comments:

Susie~From My Home To Yours said...

Do you feel better now? LOL! I really think you should complain to the management about their help, and name names! I work in customer service, and even though I am on the phone, I have an obligation to my customers to be friendly and helpful. These gals shouldn't be working there if they can't be friendly!...Ok, enough of that...I have enjoyed your blog. I love chickens, I used to have 3 girls! Looking forward to following...
Call JoAnn's now, you hear??? Let 'em have it.
Susie

Nancy M. said...

I'm glad you found a way to tell them about your experience there. They will probably thank you, because they could be losing a lot of customers because of those ladies.

Fonville Farm said...

I told ya to come to the Joanns here in Douglasville! Those ladies are wonderful! But I know what you've been going through because I was with you most of those trips and even enough by myself. Even once Eric was with me and he even noticed how rude everyone was.

Leslie said...

I guess you just need to visit that Schoolhouse in Floyd. Jerry's always especially nice!

Unknown said...

Oh yes Schoolhouse Fabrics will have all my business from now on. I should have always remained faithful to Jerry!!! I am so ashamed for being unloyal!!!

Karen said...

I sure understand where you are coming from about rude help in places, the thought that comes to mind is "If you hate this job that much why don't you get a different one?" Having moved to SC from AZ I am dismayed at the JoAnn's here. They are small and have nothing much to offer, in AZ they are etc stores and huge. Hoping you feeling better and I wouldn't go back there either!

LynnS said...

I'm glad you took the time to formally complain to their headquarters. I don't shop for JoAnn's at all. The fabrics are not the Grade A cloth, thus the discounted prices. If I spend time on a quilt, I want it to last, so I usually just order fabric online. My favorite place is eQuilter. The turnaround is quite good (they are in CO) and customer service skills are tops. I think I've been a customer there for 4 years or so. Last year, I did not buy much of anything but you know what they did?? They sent along a free packet of fat quarters -- a DOZEN! It was a marketing technique, sure, for people who have fallen-off the consumer wagon, but it wasn't a letter -- it was fabric. No business has ever mailed free fabric to me.