Saturday, August 7, 2010

Life is just "Plum" good....

I made a nice little batch of Plum Jam today.
I used the Damson Preserves recipe in my Ball canning book.
I have no idea what kind of plums these were but Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!!!!!!
It is good stuff!!!
My Dad used to like Damson Preserves better than anything he could ever get a hold of.
My Great Grandma Ella used to always make them for him and I thought it was nasty as a child.
I am not sure why I didn't like them but I thought Damsons were something along the line of Morels or something yucky like that!
I wonder if I would like Damson preserves now??? hmmmm????
If these are Damsons, I am converted!!
This is by far my new favorite jam now.
Look how thick!
You almost need a knife to cut thru them.
I am so proud of my 9 little bitty 4 ounce jars!!!
I will be on the lookout for some more plums to make more of this delicacy this season.
On to the other itty bitty's......
Momma and all her chilluns are tucked safely in bed tonight with their father watching vigil over them!! It just involved a flashlight, a cordless drill, the removal of a few boards, Danny. Leslie, Emma and I in the dark on a chicken hunt!!
I just love how chilled out a crazy spastic banty hen and all 10 of her babies are after dark!! No wonder they fall prey to so many critters......it's like
"Oh just take me and do anything you want to me, just don't wake me!"
You chicken folks will know what I am talking about here!!!!
We did go buy us a live critter trap today and we have it set behind the coop tonight.
I am pretty certain there will be a big old barn cat in there tomorrow morning :-)))
So life for me is "Plum good" right now!!!

3 comments:

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I love damson plum and blueberry conserve; it's my favorite.

the canned quilter said...

Yum! I am so glad the Mama and babies are found and safe : )

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

I would love to see photos of your friends farm for sale!